July 1, 2021 Lutheran Women’s Missionary League Convention in Lexington, Kentucky
LWML 39TH BIENNIAL CONVENTION HIGHLIGHTS
The Lutheran Women’s Missionary League (LWML) welcomed 2,787 people to the LWML Convention in Lexington, Kentucky, June 24–27, 2021, under the theme “Running the Race … Looking to Jesus.
The convention theme was based on Hebrews 12:1–2.
The voting body adopted a $2,150,000 mission goal for the 2021–2023 biennium. This goal, by the grace of God, will fund 28 mission grants as women and men respond in prayer and mites (offerings) during the next two years.
The following grants were chosen:
1) Deaconess Ministry Dakota Boys and Girls Ranch — Dakota Boys and Girls Ranch, $ 81,680
2) Healing the Invisible Wounds of War through Horses — Spirit Warrior, Central Maine, $95,000
3) Thirst to Learn: Bible Books for Africa’s Children — Lutheran Heritage Foundation, $100,000
4) Making the Next Generation of Disciples for Life — LCMS Life Ministry, $92,000
5) Helping Hands for Lutheran Deaf Outreach — Lutheran Deaf Outreach, $50,000
6) Hope of Christ for Cancer Patients — Phil’s Friends, $70,000
7) Training Pastors to Serve the Church in Russia — Lutheran Theological Seminary, Novosibirsk, Siberia, $100,000
8) Light of Christ in Eastern Europe — Mission Central, $56,000
9) Propelling the Gospel — LAMP Ministry, Inc., $65,000
10) Educating Pastors in Africa — Mission Central, $100,000
11) Redeeming Life Maternity Home, Illinois Expansion — Redeeming Life Outreach Ministries, $100,000
12) Mercy Medical Care for Tanzania — Mwadui Lutheran School and Community, $68,182
13) Gospel Outreach to Women and Children in Mongolia — Lutheran Hour Ministries, $100,000
14) Caring for and Sharing Christ with Hurting People — Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, $100,000
15) The Littlest and Least of These — St. Paul Lutheran Church and Christian Academy, Dallas, Texas, $42,000
16) Bring the Inner-City Children to Camp — Lutheran Valley Retreat, Colorado, $25,000
17) Spiritual and Physical Food for Children of Peru — La Mision Luterana del Peru, $56,750
18) “Ends of Earth” Scholarships — Mission Opportunities Short Term (MOST) Ministries, $50,000
19) Sharing Jesus’ Love in India — Lutheran Braille Workers, $100,000
20) Mission & Outreach to the Least of These — Victory Lutheran Church, K. I. Sawyer Community, $51,356
21) Mercy House Belize Lutheran Campus — Belize Mission Society, $100,000
22) Ministry Vehicle Fund, Ethiopia, and Sierra Leone — Lutheran Bible Translators, $70,000
23) Showing God’s Love in the International District, Albuquerque, New Mexico — God Cares About You Mission, $98,000
24) Reaching the Homebound with God’s Word — Lutheran Ministries Media, Inc. (DBA Worship Anew), $100,000
25) Missionaries to America Project — Mission Nation Publishing, $88,000
26) Strengthening the Lutheran Mission to Kuna, Idaho — Friendship Celebration Lutheran Church, $100,000
27) Expanding God’s Love in Uganda — LCMS Office of International Mission, Africa Regio, $92,000
28) Christ-Centered Materials for Hmong Language School and Outreach — St. Paul Hmong Outreach Ministries, $70,208.
Voting Body Elects New Leaders On Saturday, June 26, 2021, the convention voting body elected these servant leaders:
Vice President of Christian Life: Susan Brunkow,
Kansas District Vice President of Communication: Kathy Pavelock,
Eastern District Vice President of Gospel Outreach: Karen Morrison,
Kansas District Recording Secretary: Brenda Piester,
Kansas District Jr. Pastoral Counselor: Rev. Gary Piepkorn,
Rocky Mountain District Nominating Committee: Kaye Wolff from the Michigan District, Chair, Lois Teinert from the Texas District, Janis McDaniels from the Carolinas District, Lisa Asmus from the South Dakota District, Melissa Salomón from the Pacific Southwest District
Committee members Offerings Received (The following offering amounts were collected during the convention. Because additional offerings are still being received, these are unofficial totals and updates will be announced in a later LWML eNews.)
Convention Offering #1 — LWML Mission Goal 2021–2023: $43,494.15
Convention Offering #2 — King’s Community Outreach in Fort Wayne, Indiana: $27,434.02
Convention Offering #3 — Gifts for All God’s Children’s Connecting Kids to Christ Center, in Detroit, Michigan: $28,206.66
Convention Offering #4 — POBLO International Ministries in Clinton Township, Michigan: $27,079.61
Gifts from the Heart Gifts from the Heart are donations of gift cards and specific items chosen by the LWML Convention Planning Committee. They come from LWML members and donors; totals include all online donations received to date: Assurance for Life Ministry: $1,252 Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, Missouri: $1,870 Concordia Theological Seminary Fort Wayne, Indiana: $1,495 MOST Ministries: $940, plus donations of used eyeglasses Unspecified Gifts: $1,930
Mission Pledge Walk a mission pledge walk was held to support the new $2,150,000 mission goal for the 2021–2023 biennium. Groups and individuals unable to attend the convention were encouraged to walk in their neighborhoods. In Lexington, nearly 1,100 individuals took part, walking from the convention center to Thoroughbred Park in a 1.5 mile loop. Contributions raised totaled $96,232.92.
Tee up 4 Mites Golf Outing the Sixth Biennial Tee up 4 Mites Golf Outing was held on Wednesday, June 23, at the beautiful University Club of Kentucky. There were 69 golfers, comprising 18 teams, sponsored by the Lutheran Federal Credit Union. The funds raised totaled $30,710.00 in gross receipts.
The Lutheran Women’s Missionary League (LWML) is an official auxiliary of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod. As Lutheran Women in Mission, we joyfully proclaim Christ, support missions, and equip women to honor God by serving others.
LWML news releases are available at www.lwml.org Contact: LWML Office Susan Donnelly 801 Seminary Place Suite L010 Public Relations Director St. Louis, Missouri 63105 firstname.lastname@example.org 800-252-5